Puchero is a Spanish stew popular in Yucatán, Mexico, Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay, the Philippines, and Spain. The Spanish word “puchero” initially referred to an earthenware pot, before being expanded to include any vessel and then the dish prepared in it.
What is Beef Pochero?
Beef Pochero, also known as “Beef Nilaga,” is a Filipino stew. The sweetness of the saba banana complements this dish, while the tomato sauce adds a peculiar sour flavor. Beef pochero brings out the wonderful flavor of our Spanish heritage in a dish that is worth desiring.
This Beef Pochero is simple to prepare. Simply have all of the ingredients on hand and follow the instructions step by step. The chorizo de Bilbao and chickpeas, in addition to the tomato sauce and banana, decide the conclusion of this dish. It is suggested that you have these components on hand. However, Chinese link sausages can be used in place of chorizo.
- 1 Pot
- Chopping Board
- 2 lbs beef short ribs or cubed sirloin
- 1 bunch Bok choy pechay
- 1 medium sized potato cubed
- 3 pieces chorizo sliced thinly
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 medium cabbage quartered
- 1 bundle long green beans about 15 pieces
- 2 large plantains saba banana, sliced
- 1 large tomato diced
- 2 tbsp whole pepper corn
- 1 tsp garlic
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 small can tomato sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup garbanzos
- In a large pot, heat the oil and cook the banana till golden brown. Set the bananas aside when you're finished.
- In the same saucepan, cook the chorizo for 3 to 5 minutes before setting it aside.
- Sauté the garlic, onion, and tomato
- Add the beef and cook for 5 minutes
- Mix thoroughly the fish sauce, tomato sauce, and whole pepper corn.
- Add the water and continue to cook until the meat is tender (about 35 minutes in pressure cooker)
- Simmer for 7 minutes with the fried chorizo, fried banana, potato, and garbanzos.
- Add the cabbage, long green beans and simmer for 5 minutes
- Turn off the heat and add the bok choy. To cook the bok choy, cover the pot for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot. Share and Enjoy!