What is Afritada Recipe
Served with carrots, potatoes, red and green bell peppers, and tomato sauce, afritada is a traditional Filipino meal. It is a typical daily Filipino dinner that is served over white rice.
How to cook Afritada Recipe
Afritada is a food that has been braised. The minced beef is added after the garlic and onion have been sautéed and are cooked until soft. Water, tomato paste, diced carrots, potatoes, and red and green bell peppers are added to the pan after the meat has been properly browned. You can also include sliced tomatoes, peas, chickpeas, or beans. With salt, black pepper, bay leaves, and fish sauce, you can season it to your liking. The combination is simmered for the duration necessary to cook the vegetables. It is put on white rice.
What distinguishes Afritada, Kaldereta, and Mechado from one another?
The primary elements we employ to generate each flavor’s distinctiveness are one of the three groups’ fundamental differences. All employ tomato sauce to give their products the orange hue, but only Kaldereta uses liver spread (and peanut butter in some regions). To amplify its delicious flavor, we cook it with tomato sauce. Additionally, Mechado utilizes vinegar (or a small amount of calamansi or lemon) for a mild sourness. Additionally, either beef or pork is more frequently used. Out of the three, only Afritada employs chicken as a meat ingredient in its original recipe. As its meat counterpart, Kaldereta displays beef.
How to store and serve
With steamed rice, chicken afritada is a fantastic main dish for lunch or dinner. Additionally, it works well for special events and parties and is a hit with everyone.
Place in a saucepan and cook to an internal temperature of 165 °F to reheat.
Refrigerate leftovers for up to three days or freeze them for up to two months by placing them in an airtight container.
Other Tips to making your chicken Afritada more exiting
- Chicken-For this recipe, bone-in chicken works best since it adds a richer flavor. If you want boneless, go with thigh fillets rather than breasts because the latter might become chewy and dry during slow cooking.
- Tomatoes-Using ripe tomatoes will make them sweeter and juicier.
- Vegetables-In addition to extending meals and adding color and texture, potatoes, carrots, bell peppers, and sweet peas.
- For even cooking, slice the carrots and potatoes into the same size pieces. Before adding them to the stew, pan-fry them to prevent them from disintegrating.
- Add around a spoonful of tomato paste for a richer sauce if you like.
Chicken Afritada Recipe
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1/2 small red bell pepper, cored and sliced into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 1/2 small green bell pepper, cored and sliced into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 4 pounds chicken, cut into serving pieces
- 1 small onion, peeled and sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 6 large tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup frozen sweet peas thawed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a pan over a medium heat.
- Potatoes and carrots should be added at this point. Cook, turning once or twice, until lightly browned. To drain on paper towels, remove from pan.
- Remove all except roughly 2 tablespoons of the excess oil from the pan.
- Cook the bell peppers for 30 to 45 seconds after adding them. Drain on paper towels after removing from pan.
- When the onions and garlic are tender, add them.
- Add the chicken, stirring once or twice, and heat until the chicken is gently browned but not fully done.
- Cook tomatoes by adding them and pressing them frequently with a back spoon until they soften and release juices.
- For about a minute or two, add the fish sauce.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pan, and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the chicken is thoroughly cooked and the sauce has thickened to the preferred consistency.
- ook the potatoes and carrots with the addition of the stock until fork-tender.
- Sweet peas and bell peppers should be added. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until bell peppers are crisp and tender, and green peas are heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.